Pros and Cons of Central Air Conditioning
The advantages of central air conditioning are:
- Central air conditioners are more efficient and quieter than room air conditioners.
- Central air conditioners can use the same ductwork as central forced air furnaces.
- Central air conditioners can be placed outside and out of the way.
The disadvantages of central air conditioning are:
- Central air conditioners use ducts to distribute cooled air through the home. Duct leakage can reduce energy efficiency by up to 30%
- Older air conditioning systems are much more inefficient than current models. Replacing a 10-year-old unit could save 10% to 20% of your cooling costs. Air conditioners manufactured after January 26, 2006 must achieve a Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) of 13 or higher. SEER 13 is 30% more efficient than the previous minimum SEER of 10.